"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." A.A. Milne

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Words For The Year



I don't do resolutions. I don't think I need to go into the whys. I used to do goals and that worked really well. This last year has been amazingly transformative. I have really come into my own power and confidence. I am extremely comfortable with who I am. I trust my intuition. I know my strengths and weaknesses and I accept both with open arms. I seek internal affirmation and I am slowly finding those of my tribe to share this amazing adventure. It has been rather glorious.

This year I wanted to do the whole New Year Thing differently. I know many people who choose one word. I am far too verbose for such a solitary choice. Therefore, I have chosen five words for the coming year.

Create- I really want to explore who I am through art in a variety of forms. I am ready to take my hoop dance to a new level. I am re-learning to read and play music on a nifty new soprano recorder. I am drawing in a nature journal. I hope to play with paint, color, collage, paper mache, mosaic, and any other form that appeals. By this time next year I would like to be comfortable thinking I am an artist. I must say I find this entire endeavor truly exciting. I think new and wondrous passions will arise.

Slow- I want to slow our lives down even more. I still find myself getting antsy when I am not "productive". I want to give the children and myself huge amounts of unplanned time to lie in a field, contemplate the starry sky, whatever. This means I will cut down more on commitments and become more stringent about what my MIT's (Most Important Things) truly are.

Connect- I want to focus on deeper connections this year. This is both for a few people in my life and with myself. I want to take the time to really develop some key relationships. I want to really listen and hear these amazing people. My children and husband are at the top of this list. I also want to connect more deeply with myself. I intend to find some way to have daily-ish meditation. John enables me to have some really yummy meditation two days a week but I would love for this to be a daily practice. I find the practice to life changing. I am not sure I have the words to even describe it.

Simplify- Yep, get rid of more stuff. We have done really well but we are eager to clear out more. This also includes simplifying schedules and expectations we place upon ourselves.

Nourish- I intend to nourish myself and my family in the coming year. I will do this by providing delicious  healthy food, having a daily yoga practice, and taking time for self care. I am going on a women's wellness retreat soon. That will be a fabulous kick off, I hope.

All of these words actually overlap and are interdependent with each other. That's life though, all of the parts coming together in harmony to create the organic whole. I am so excited for the journey laid out before me. I think this next year will be beautiful, challenging, exciting, and a true mystery to be unraveled. I am eager to watch it all unfold.

May you and yours be blessed with abundance, joy, and unending beauty all around you in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment